Friday, March 2, 2012

Saturday, March 2nd, 1974

Well, I got the Superman book and it's a great mate for the Batman one I already had.

Also picked up a bunch of great all-time hads and wants. Wow!

Terry will most likely buy a bunch of old records from me tomorrow for $3.00 to sell later to the Ohio Book Store for a profit. That's okay by me because I don't have to go through all the hassle of dragging them over there and I get three whole bucks up front. Hah!

Saw the Grammy Awards tonight.

NOTES: Can you remember when "three whole bucks" was exciting? Wow. 


I never really cared for the Grammy Awards much, mainly because it always seemed like the really good singers and records didn't even get nominated!


At the 1974 Grammys, the record, song and best pop vocal of the year was KILLING ME SOFTLY by Roberta Flack.


Stevie Wonder's INNERVISIONS was album of the year.


Best new artist was Bette Midler.


Olivia Newton-John and  Charlie Rich took the top country awards.


Gladys Knight, Aretha Franklin, Big Band leader Woody Herman, actor Richard Harris and the SESAME STREET cast also took home awards this night. 


Albums that would have been eligible for awards that year, I believe, included BAND ON THE RUN from McCartney and Wings, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON from Pink Floyd, Elton John's GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD and DESPERADO from The Eagles.


1973 songs that should have been eligible include big hits by  Grand Funk Railroad, John Denver, Three Dog Night, the Doobie Brothers, Deep Purple, Loggins and Messina, Chicago, Curtis Mayfield and The Allman Brothers Band.


The Beatles regularly lost at the Grammys.


Come to think of it, I don't know why I watch the Grammys. 



No comments: