Sunday, November 25, 2012

Monday, November 25th, 1974

I awoke looking forward to a great day and I got it. I got up very early and it felt great!

GREAT EXPECTATIONS was on TV last Friday but we watched it at school today.

I saw the very first BEVERLY HILLBILLIES episode and STAR TREK's "City on the Edge of Forever" by Harlan Ellison. My favorite episode! Magnificent!

Later I saw Rod Serling, Big Foot, The Abominable Snowman and the Loch Ness Monster in a  special while I worked some more on my Geometry notebook.

Dad's home all week this week.

It snowed a little and turned very, very cold.

NOTES: The version of GREAT EXPECTATIONS here was a greatly truncated TV movie version with a fine cast of British stalwarts including Michael York, Sarah Miles, James Mason, Robert Morley, Margaret Leighton and Anthony Quayle. I remember greatly enjoying it.

In the years prior to his death, Rod Serling, one of the greatest writers of his generation, settled into an easier and more profitable career narrating speculative documentaries. While it was great to hear his wonderful voice so often, in retrospect it was sad that he no longer shared his true genius with us.

I think "City On the Edge of Forever" became my favorite episode of STAR TREK from the very first time I saw it. At once one of that classic series most memorable and yet most atypical episodes, it also introduced me to Joan Collins.

No comments: